Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

  1. #21
    Junior Hostboard Member streetwise23's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2016
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Paul,

    I'll see if I can dig up the thread over the next couple of days ( it's here somewhere ) of a large ( Altec ) horn loaded system that was made ( Steve? ) using twin horn-loaded 15's with a 288/511e combo , topped off with a Heil? AMT-1a tweeter ( he also had subs ).

    So far my searches have come up empty.

    Given the space ( & personal energy ) I would consider building something along his lines .

    thanks Earl i appreciate it, sorry for jacking the thread just didn't get many answers last time i set up a thread on the subject. And thank you GM always appreciated. Im sure as i research more ill have endless questions thanks in advance!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Steve Mac [can't remember the rest of his last name]:

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/members/steve-mac.html

    webpage: Super Bad Cat

    DIY horn threads:

    80-800Hz Ideas on the right Altec solution

    Altec Inspired Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800Hz

    Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800 Hz

    Lots more [semi] related info if you search.

    GM
    GM looks like quite a impressive system also extremely expensive. What are the benefits of his system to say something like the one you helped Westend with. Im still leaning more towards a system like Westends being less exotic partially because of cost but also aesthetics. What are the main differences between a bass horn system and an MLTL? One thing two bring up that seems to be the weakpoint in westends system is still the 802-8g in the 811b horn

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Thanks GM, Steve Mac is certainly the fellow I was thinking of ( glad your memory is working ) .

    4


  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    You're welcome! Memory, not so much, just remembered I was much involved in this with lots of PMs I managed to find in an old yahoo account. Didn't know these things could remain unused for so long without being deleted. I guess as long as dozens to hundreds of SPAM continues to clog it daily.......

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Making 511E horns from 511B horns

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    Hi SD 50, I have a set of 291-16K drivers with the Symbiotik diaphragms that I want to use. I have not seen a direct comparison of the 288 and the 291 (Ceramic magnets) but I suspect that they are not that far off. Found a local Buy it Now on Ebay for the drivers for 125.00 (no shipping!) and bought good used diaphragms from a member here for 100 bucks. So with careful shopping you can find something to use.
    My plan is to blend the flange to the throat after they are welded on with epoxy and grind it smooth, like porting and polishing a cylinder head port.
    I was hoping that the combination of 511E horns and the large format driver would sound even better that my 811B/902 combination. I would be crossing them at either 800Hz or using the Model 19 crossover at 1200Hz.
    There hasn't been much written on how they sound and GM seems to think that it is a total waist of time and a set of horns. Now I'm up in the air as what to do. I have already picked up one horn to modify and would still have to purchase another. I don't want to have to much invested if it turns into a failure.
    What to do?

    BillWojo
    Hi Bill
    Thinking along the same lines, may be a waste of time and destruction of a perfectly good pair of 511 horns. I'll keep searching for proper horns hopefully for cheap. About 10 years back missed out on a pair of A5s for free out of a run-downed movie theater .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.